Household Hazardous Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Some leftover or used household products in small amounts that contain chemicals that can present safety concerns if not managed properly.  

Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste

The City of Wichita Falls Landfill can accept small amounts of household hazardous waste.  The waste must be produced by a household and not by a commercial or manufacturing facility. The City requests that residents keep all household hazardous waste chemicals in their original containers or make non-liquid.  The City also request that paints and fuels be in a non-liquid form before being disposed in the regular trash. 

Common Household Hazardous Waste - How and Where to Dispose

  • Paint must be dried out before being placed in the regular trash.  The paint can be dried out by pouring two quarts of oil dry absorbent or kitty litter into a half gallon of paint.  Stir the oil dry in with a stick and leave the top off to allow it to dry.  When you can hold the can upside down and no paint pours out, it is ready to go in the regular trash. 
  • Old Gasoline can be mixed with good fuel and run in lawn equipment or added in small amounts to good fuel in your vehicle.  The old gasoline can also be mixed with oil dry absorbent or kitty litter and allowed to dry out.  Once dry the material can be put in the regular trash. 
  • Motor oil, anti freeze, hydraulic fluid, and brake fluid disposal sites
  • Car and marine batteries disposal sites

Helpful Links

For information on disposing of other hazardous waste items, please contact the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) at 903-535-5100.