For the human body, water is a truly vital resource. It is the precious fluid required to keep organs and muscles running at an efficient and healthy level. We hope the following health and fitness facts will help you understand how drinking water can help meet your body's needs.
- Water regulates body temperature, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, removes wastes and protects organs and tissues. While the human body can live for weeks without food, it can only survive a few days without water.
- Water should be consumed regularly throughout the day. Most medical experts recommend drinking at least 8 ounces of water approximately 8 times a day.
- You lose 2 1/2 to 3 quarts of water per day through normal elimination, sweating and breathing. If you exercise or live in a humid climate, you may lose another quart.
- A man's body is 60-65% water. A woman's is 50-60% water. The human brain is about 75% water.
- Water is a simple remedy for a multitude of health problems. Water can aid in digestion and ease muscle soreness.
- Proper water intake is important in a weight loss program. Water helps metabolize fat and combats water retention. Because ironically, when you don't drink water, your body's survival instincts take over and it retains every drop it can.
- Water helps people engaged in physical labor perform more efficiently. Water lubricates the joints, helps maintain proper muscle tone, cools the body and replaces fluids lost during perspiration.