District 1 Councilor Michael Smith
TERM AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Elected to and have served as follows.....District 1 City Councilor 2007-2009, 2009-2011, and 2011-2013 City Councilor At Large 2013-2015 and 2015-2017
- Mayor Pro Tem 2009-2011
- Elected to District 1 City Councilor November, 2019 to serve until November, 2021
- Reelected to District 1 City Councilor November, 2021 to serve until November, 2024
COUNCIL LIAISON TO
- Ordinance Review Committee
- Tax Increment Finance Board #2
- Wichita County/City of Wichita Falls Health Board
- Zoning Board of Adjustments
CITY COUNCIL GOALS
- Be responsive to the needs of the citizens of District 1.
- Protect our citizens by ensuring that our first responders have the manpower, training, and equipment necessary to do their jobs.
- Protect existing jobs, insure the growth of new jobs, and protect Sheppard AFB jobs and missions.
Quality of life enhancements
- Promote the enhancement of our city’s quality of life and continued Infrastructure improvement.
- Guard the environment of our city including our air, water resources, and our flora and fauna.
- continue to work for the improvement of all city services and maintain a cost-effective city government.
- Educator for 37 years at City View ISD as teacher, principal, and superintendent
- Extensive experience in all areas of public school administration including curriculum, personnel, finance, and public relations
- Attended Sam Houston Elementary and Barwise Junior High
- Graduate of Wichita Falls High School
- Bachelors and Masters degrees earned from Midwestern State University in Secondary Education, History, and Government
- Texas School Administrator and Texas School Superintendent certification (additional Masters level courses)
- Life-long resident of Wichita Falls
- Resident of District 1 for over 60 years
- Member and ordained Elder of New Hope Presbyterian Church
- Married to Karen with three children and three grandchildren
- Museum of North Texas History Board Member
- North Texas Early Head Start Board Member
- North Texas Housing Finance Board Member