Julia M. Vasquez, Deputy City Attorney - Litigation & Employment Law
*Board-certified in Labor and Employment Law
Julia Vasquez is the Deputy City Attorney for the City of Wichita Falls. She joined the City in September 2001. Julia has 35 years of experience practicing law and is board-certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Labor and Employment Law. Julia is the legal liaison to the Human Resources Department and handles all legal matters related to personnel and Police and Fire Civil Service. Julia is responsible for handling all State and Federal litigation and claims brought against the City pursuant to the Texas Tort Claims Act. Julia works closely with all City departments assisting them in a variety of legal matters. Julia also was the City’s legal advisor to the North Texas Regional Drug Task Force before its dissolution in September 2007. Julia currently serves on the City’s Fire and Police Meet and Confer teams.
Julia began her legal career as an Assistant Staff Judge Advocate in the United States Air Force, assigned to the Military Justice section at Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene, Texas. As a Judge Advocate, Julia represented the Air Force in several special and general courts-martial. After leaving the military, Julia worked at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth as a Labor Relations Specialist representing the company in union grievances and arbitrations under the various collective bargaining agreements. Prior to joining the City, Julia was an associate in the Labor and Employment Section of Haynes and Boone in Fort Worth and later a partner in the firm Karger, Key, Barnes and Springer. While in private practice, Julia represented primarily municipal clients in a wide variety of employment and labor matters.
- J.D., University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1989
- B.A., Baylor University, Waco, Texas 1986
- Licensed to practice law in Texas, Tennessee, and South Carolina
- Licensed to practice law in all Texas courts, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Labor and Employment Law, 2002
- International Municipal Lawyers Association Local Government Fellow, 2019
- Merit Certification in Municipal Law – Texas City Attorneys’ Association, 2016
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- The Elephant in the Room: Employee Drug Testing After Chandler v. Miller
- International Municipal Lawyers Association, Municipal Lawyer - March 2020.
- Ethics in Municipal Government
- Presenter, League of Women Voters, Wichita Falls - March 2020
- Appealing a Third-Party Hearing Examiner’s Decision
- Presenter, 26th Annual Civil Service Workshop - March 2012
- Workplace Compliance and Law Update
- Presenter, Odysseyonesource - May 21, 2009
- Served on Board of Directors, Governance Committee, Early Head Start, 2011-2014
- Voted one of five Women to Watch by the Wichita Falls TWBC, July 2013