Public Safety Dispatch Academy
Projected Start Date of Academy - Fall 2023
In September 2019 the State of Texas recognized Public Safety Dispatchers as First Responders.
Are you interested in a rewarding career and finding a job that gives you purpose? Are you searching for something that allows you to make a difference in the lives of others? Then serving your community by becoming a Public Safety Dispatcher is the right choice for you! This career allows you to work in a team focused environment, driven by the desire to ensure the safety of the public, and work closely with members of the Wichita Falls Police Department, Wichita Falls Fire Department, the Wichita County Sheriff's Office, and many other agencies and departments. Each day is different, exciting and rewarding. This position answers multiple emergency and non-emergency lines and monitors radio channels. You will assist in gathering information, answering questions, and dispatching or transferring calls to units, departments or other agencies. We are a hardworking team of individuals who live to serve the public and our community. Our department promotes from within, and fosters development of our team. We are continually searching for diverse, positive, and motivated individuals who wish to start their career in public service. If that describes you, then come join our team!
- Fall 2023 - Applications will be taken through the City Website.
- Soft backgrounds will be run on all applicants who apply
- Applicants who make it through the soft background will be contacted by phone and scheduled for pre-employment skills testing.
- Testing dates are scheduled for September 2nd.
- The Fall 2023 Public Safety Dispatch Academy will begin October 9th.
Personal History Packet
- All applicants should download the Personal History Statement.
- Due to the file size/number of pages copies of the Personal History Statement may be picked up from the Human Resources Office located at 1300 7th Street, Room 100. (940-761-7615)
- Complete the packet to the best of your ability. If there are questions about information needed, you may address them during testing.
- Personal History Statements must be notarized. A notary will be available at the testing site for the personal history statement.
- No personal history statements will be accepted at any time other than the testing date.
- Individuals who pass the soft background will be invited to continue in the recruitment process.
- Pre-employment skills testing will consist of a typing test and a critical thinking skills test. This process will take approximately four (4) hours and applicants should be prepared to remain at the PS Training Center during the entire process. Below are links for potential applicants to practice before their skills test.
- 911 Dispatch Data Entry Practice Test
- Online Typing Test
- Criticall Practice Test
Minimum Passing Scores for Skills Testing
- Typing speed of 30 WPM is required - Applicant should practice typing utilizing symbols and numbers, and focus on speed and accuracy.
- CritiCall skill testing minimum score is 75.
- CritiCall skill testing will consist of Data Entry (audio), Call Summarization, Cross-Referencing, Memory Recall, Prioritization, Map Reading, Sentence Clarity, and Decision-Making.
Personal History Packet
- First line interviews and a completed Personal History Statement must be turned in at the time of testing.
- Applicants will be assigned a background investigator
- Legal review of background packets and a final decision will be made on applicants who will continue in the recruitment process
- Psychological Testing, Interviews, Physicals, and Drug Screens
- Applicants will be given results and intent to hire
- Projected Start Date of Academy will be October 9th 2023
Any applicant that is selected for hire will begin their career as a Public Safety Dispatch Trainee as they move through each level of training. All training is paid for and each level of training moves the individual closer to full certification with TCIC/NCIC, Basic Telecommunicator/TCOLE Certifications and finally become a licensed Public Safety Dispatcher.
- HOURLY RATE RANGE: $18.11 - 20.00
Upon successful completion of all required training and obtaining the required certifications named above, an incumbent will qualify for a pay increase. Individuals must successfully complete each level of training to move to the next level of training. Individuals who are unable to successfully complete any level of training may be released.
Individuals will be required to obtain TCOLE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement) Telecommunicator Operator License within one year of hire or date.
THIS IS SHIFT WORK. The Police Department uses Bidding and Seniority and the department needs to determine schedules. Although initially training will take place during the day it will eventually progress to other shifts. An expectation of day shift and being off on weekends or holidays should not be taken by any applicant.
Regular and reliable attendance in compliance with given schedules is a mandatory requirement of this position. Schedules may be subject to change with or without advance notice.
Additional Compensation and Benefits can be viewed on the City Website - www.wichitafallstx.gov