Public Information Request

Open Records Request (2)

The State of Texas Public Information Act allows citizens to request a wide variety of records, reports, and information from a governmental body such as the City of Wichita Falls. Common requests include reports from the Police and Fire Departments, Code Enforcement, Building Inspections, Property Management, Animal Control, Health Department, and others.

Information can be obtained from the City of Wichita Falls online through our Public Information Portal.  

Please provide as much information as possible to assist with the records search such as case number, location, date of the incident, birth dates, names of those involved, etc.


 The process for requesting public records from the City of Wichita Falls changed effective January 5, 2023.  

 The Texas Legislature amended the Public Information Act, Texas Government Code Chapter 552, to specify exactly how members of the public may submit a Public Information Request to a governmental agency.

 Therefore, beginning January 5, 2023:

 1.         All mailed public information requests must be mailed to the City of Wichita Falls, Attn: City Clerk, P.O. Box 1431, Wichita Falls, TX 76307.

 2.        All emailed public information requests must be emailed to

 3.         Requests via fax will no longer be accepted.

 There remain a number of ways a member of the public may request information including:

 Electronically at the following hyperlinked website:  Public Records Center

 Sending an email to

 Hand delivery to the City Clerk’s office located at 1300 7th Street, Room 104, Wichita Falls, TX 76301.

 By mail to the City of Wichita Falls, Attn: City Clerk Room 104, Wichita Falls, TX 76301. 

 Any questions regarding Public Information Requests may be directed to the City Clerk’s Office. 

The Process

When a Public Information Request (PIR) is submitted, it is logged by the City Clerk and then the information will be researched and records gathered. Under Texas State law, Section 552 of the Texas Government code, the City Clerk has ten business days to request a ruling from the State Attorney General’s Office, provide a cost estimate letter, request clarification from the requestor, or to respond to your request with a date and time that your request will be ready.

Keep in mind that not all information can be released and in some cases may not exist. When there is a question as to whether certain information can be released the City will seek an opinion from the State Attorney General’s Office. For more information please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 940-761-7409. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Accident Reports

Accident reports are not releasable under the Public Information Act and are maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation. Please read our CR-3 letter for information on how you can obtain a copy of your accident report.

General Information and Media Inquiries

For interview requests, media inquiries or general public information questions, please call the Public Information Department at 940-761-7401.